Vanderbilt University Accounting Assistant IV - Basic Science Research Group in Nashville, Tennessee
Accounting Assistant IV - Basic Science Research Group (Job Number: 1801596)
The Accounting Assistant IV role is part of the Pod 3 Basic Science Research Group at Vanderbilt University and is a key individual responsible for financial and reporting activities within the Pod. This position supports the faculty and staff of Pod 3 Basic Science Research. Reporting directly to the Chief Business Officer, but the individual will interact with faculty, and staff in Pod 3.
About the Work Unit:
Pod 3 is an administrative group composed of highly organized, and dedicated individuals who support the faculty and staff of our Pod providing them with the many tools they need to make decisions and advance excellence in their scientific endeavors.
About Vanderbilt University:
Vanderbilt is a renowned private institution founded in 1873 and located in the heart of Nashville, Tennessee. The university’s students, faculty, and frequently cite Nashville and the surrounding area as one of the many perks of being a part of Vanderbilt community. Vanderbilt University is a place where your expertise will be valued, your knowledge expanded, and your abilities challenged. It is a place where your diversity is sought and celebrated. It is a place where employees know they are part of something bigger than themselves, take exceptional pride in their work and never settle for what was good enough yesterday. Vanderbilt was recently ranked #1 in the Princeton Review among 382 top colleges and universities for “happiest students” - as well as #2 for “best quality of life” and “great financial aid,” #5 for “best run colleges” and “beautiful campus,” and #6 for both being in a “college city that students love” and having “great campus/city relations.”
Key Functions and Expected Performance for the Accounting Assistant IV.
Financial / Reporting:
· Assist with grant and contract closeouts for all departments/centers in Pod 3. This encompasses the following duties:
o Review and analyze data to ensure department closeout numbers match OCGA’s. Involves communication with OCGA and FUM/Financial Analyst to answer questions and ensure expenditures were allocable, allowable and consistent with the AIMS of the project.
o Assist in preparing RCTs (retro cost transfers) to move inappropriate supply charges from grants and submit to Financial Analyst to review.
o For final FFR, follow up on all outstanding committed costs on non-salary cost transfers to ensure they post correctly and all outstanding invoicing has been received or paid.
o Work on late charges to validate appropriateness or take appropriate action to remove or advise if the items should remain on the FFR.
o Review grant end dates periodically and communicate with FUM/Financial Analyst on potential discrepancies/issues such as deficits that need to be moved.
· Research open encumbrances in procurement system to determine if outstanding invoices still need to be paid or need to be moved to another source or closed out. This involves the following:
o Run the committed costs and review line by line for over 200 grants/contracts in the Pod departments.
o Run P2P reports to review and analyze payments on invoices to determine if any need to be closed.
o Review and analyze invoicing and billing on subcontracts coming in and going out for all closeouts to ensure proper payment and timely billing has been processed and take into consideration for FFR.
o Work with lab managers and other individuals who place orders for our investigators to confirm if all items have been received so we can close out remaining balances on orders.
· Request Center Creates in conjunction with the Preaward Team once awards have been granted.
· Assist the FUM/Financial Analyst in setting up budgets in the system.
· Serve as liaison between Preward Team and Post Award Team for relinquishing statements, progress reports and equipment and foreign travel rebudgets. This will involve working with both teams to supply appropriate data as needed.
· Assist with any ad hoc reporting needs as determined by the Asst Dean
· Engage in problem solving with FUMs and/or Financial Analysts as needed on routine matters
Supervisory Relationships :
This position does not have supervisory responsibility
Experience and Education :
· Associate’s in Business, Accounting or related field and 2-3 years’ experience
· Experience working with grants management is highly preferred
· Strong background with Excel is preferred
· Oracle/SkyVU experience is preferred
About Vanderbilt Benefits:
In addition to offering a lively community that encourages learning and celebrates diversity, Vanderbilt University offers a competitive, flexible benefits package including health, dental, vision, life, accidental death & dismemberment, disability insurance, paid time off, and a 403(b) retirement plan with employer match. Vanderbilt offers tuition assistance to employees, spouses and dependent children. Also, after five years of service, Vanderbilt will pay up to 55% of the tuition for up to three dependent children to earn a bachelor's degree. Learn more about Vanderbilt's benefits at VU Benefits Overview at https://hr.vanderbilt.edu/benefits/6.1.17BenefitsOverview-Candidate-.pdf .
Key Characteristics of a Successful Team Member in this Unit:
· Holds oneself accountable; takes responsibility for failures as well as successes, recognizes that trust is required to hold a team together.
· Delivers excellence. Is a creative problem solver. Is proactive. Welcomes input on making things better. Places a high value on learning and self-improvement.
· Embraces change and constantly analyzes the new way of doing business. Encourages and inspires optimism.
· Fosters professional relationships across departments/schools.
· Promotes unity and instills integrity, passion and accountability among all.
· Aligns with the values and culture of our organizational structure.
Job requires Associate and 3 Years of experience or the equivalent.
Primary Location: United States-Tennessee-Nashville
Organization: 18310 - Basic Science Administration Pod 3
Job: Administrative / Office Support Supervisors, Leads, and Staff
Vanderbilt University is committed to principles of equal opportunity and affirmative action