Vanderbilt University Administrative Manager in Nashville, Tennessee
Administrative Manager (Job Number: 1800546)
Administrative Manager-Department of Mathematics
About the Position
The Department of Mathematics is looking for an experienced Administrative Manager (AM) to assist in the department’s day-to-day finance and administrative functions with the goal of ensuring all departmental activities implemented efficiently and effectively. The AM directly reports to the Senior Administrative Officer (SAO) and indirectly to the Department Chair. This position will also supervise positions within the department
About the Department
The Department of Mathematics in the College of Arts & Science is a recognized world leader in mathematical research and education. The faculty is comprised of several International Congress of Mathematicians (ICM) speakers and about a third of the faculty are Fellows of the American Mathematical Society. The department has leading research groups in several areas of mathematics including noncommutative geometry and operator algebras, approximation theory, geometry and topology, group theory, partial differential equations, universal algebra and logic, and applied harmonic analysis. The research achievements of Vanderbilt mathematics faculty in the past to speak at prestigious mathematics conferences and by national and international awards. The department has about 50 faculty, 40 graduate students, and six staff members.
Duties, Responsibilities, andExpected Outcomes
· Serve as departmental Financial Unit Manager (FUM) approving all financial transactions including procurement requisitions, travel and entertainment expense reports.
· Filing expense reports requiring a deep understanding of the operations and financial landscape of the department as well as institutional financial policies and procedures.
· Maintains extensive understanding of sponsored projects accounting and expenditure regulations, where applicable.
· Work with Department Chair to prepare, maintain, and administer annual budget
· Oversees spending compliance across sponsored and non-sponsored funds within the department including budget reconciliations and meeting with faculty, the Grants Manager, and Department Chairman.
· Oversee student payroll processes and expenditures
· Assist in the hiring, supervision, and development of administrative personnel including workflow management and annual performance evaluations.
· Serve as Line Manager for staff and student positions to include approval of time cards and
· Serve as departmental HR contact assisting faculty, staff, and students with recruitment, onboarding, retention and disciplinary processes.
· Maintain departmental records and files
· Develop continual improvement processes for the department
· Other duties as assigned
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
· Excellent interpersonal written and oral communication skills
· Excellent planning and organizational skills
· Ability to work both as a member of a team and independently
· Ability to use independent judgment and to manage/impart confidential information
· Ability to analyze and solve problems in a time-efficient manner
· Ability to plan, develop, and coordinate multiple projects with competing deadlines
· Knowledge of federal/non-federal grant policies and procedures
· Knowledge of human resources administration policies and procedures
· Knowledge of academic student policies, processes, and procedures
Software/ Vanderbilt Systems Knowledge
· MS Office proficiency, Adobe Professional
· Proficient user of Vanderbilt systems including, but not limited to, Oracle, Taleo, and COEUS
About Vanderbilt University:
Vanderbilt is a renowned private institution founded in 1873 located a little more than a mile from downtown Nashville, TN. The university’s students, faculty, staff and visitors frequently cite Nashville as one of the benefits of Vanderbilt. VU is a place where your expertise will be valued, your knowledge expanded and your abilities challenged. It is a place where your diversity is celebrated. It is a place where employees know they are part of something that is bigger than themselves, take exceptional pride in their work and never settle for what was good enough yesterday.
In addition to offering a lively community that encourages learning and celebrates diversity, VU offers a competitive, flexible benefits package including health, dental, vision, life, accidental death & dismemberment, disability insurance, paid time off, and a 403(b) retirement plan with employer match. Vanderbilt offers tuition assistance to employees, spouses and dependent children. In addition, after five years of service, Vanderbilt will pay up to 55% of the tuition for up to three dependent children to earn a bachelor's degree. Learn more about Vanderbilt's benefits at VU Benefits Overview at https://hr.vanderbilt.edu/benefits/2018-Benefits-Overview_Future-Employees.pdf
Vanderbilt ChancellorNick Zeppos and Dean of Students Mark Bandas have identified diversity, equity,inclusion, and mental health as top priorities for the institution and byextension the offices of the Dean of Students. Candidates must be able toarticulate and demonstrate excellence and continued growth in knowledge,awareness, skills, and experience engaging with these priorities in a higher educationenvironment.
This position requires a Bachelors Degree and 3 Years of experience or the equivalent.
Primary Location: United States-Tennessee-Nashville
Organization: 12540 - Mathematics
Job: Administrative / Office Support Managers