Vanderbilt University Program Assistant - School of Medicine Office of Medical Student Affairs in Nashville, Tennessee
Program Assistant - School of Medicine Office of Medical Student Affairs (Job Number: 1800963)
Vanderbilt University School of Medicine Office of Medical Student Affairs seeks a full-time Program Assistant . The role requires a candidate be a highly-organized, team-oriented profession who provides administrative support and assistance with planning and coordination of a variety of programs and events. Applicants should enjoy a fast-paced environment and a diverse workload and be able to respond to in-the-moment team needs. Must like to learn. Responsibilities include assisting with execution of SOM events including Graduation and Orientation, providing budgetary and systems support for MSA operations, and actively tracking student compliance.
This position reports to the Administrative Director of Medical Student Affairs. Work is directed by the Administrative Director or Program Coordinator II, dependent on project. This position supports the overall operation of Medical Student Affairs and the Associate Dean for Medical Student Affairs and collaborates with SOM staff and faculty, as well as other VU entities. The successful candidate will have excellent verbal and written communication skills, organizational skills, computer skills, as well as the ability to work in a team environment. Applicants will ideally have a Bachelors or equivalent degree and experience.
About Vanderbilt University:
Vanderbilt is a renowned private institution founded in 1873 and located in the heart of Nashville, Tennessee. The university’s students, faculty, and frequently cite Nashville and the surrounding area as one of the many perks of being a part of Vanderbilt community. Vanderbilt University is a place where your expertise will be valued, your knowledge expanded, and your abilities challenged. It is a place where your diversity is sought and celebrated. It is a place where employees know they are part of something bigger than themselves, take exceptional pride in their work and never settle for what was good enough yesterday. Vanderbilt was recently ranked #1 in the Princeton Review among 382 top colleges and universities for “happiest students” - as well as #2 for “best quality of life” and “great financial aid,” #5 for “best run colleges” and “beautiful campus,” and #6 for both being in a “college city that students love” and having “great campus/city relations.”
Key Functionsand Expected Performance:
Event & Program Assistance (30%)
· Execute and/or assist with execution of SOM programs and events
· Provide day of event assistance to assigned events
· Provide support for events and programs by making room reservations, creating agendas or invitations, collecting responses, printing nametags, confirming vendor arrangements
· Assist in all aspects of conference funding program
· Serve as primary Oracle system user as purchaser for events and programs
· Monitors expenses and reconciles budgets for MSA events and programs
· Manage department p-card and serve as trustee of student p-card
· Maintain financial records of all MSA operations
· Assist Administrative Director with strategic budget management and financial projects
Student Compliance Program (30%)
· Serve as primary contact for student compliance for MD program students, including planning, communicating to students, and tracking compliance
Work in systems as needed to maintain compliance requirements
Serve as a liaison to the other nine SOM programs regarding compliance requirements
System and Inventory Assistance (10%)
· Serve as inventory manager for all MSA supplies and inventory
· Assist with systems for office and event operations, including event management system (Cvent), data collection system (Redcap), and websites
· Continually seek ways to improve the organization and operation of the office and team; take initiative to implement improvements
· Strong verbal and written communication skills – detail-oriented while able to communicate information at summary level
· Highly motivated, excellent prioritization and time management skills, self-directed with a propensity towards action and results.
· Must be able to work independently and with a small team.
· Proficiency with Microsoft Office suite
· Must have a valid driver’s license and reliable transportation
About Vanderbilt Benefits:
In addition to offering a lively community that encourages learning and celebrates diversity, Vanderbilt University offers a competitive, flexible benefits package including health, dental, vision, life, accidental death & dismemberment, disability insurance, paid time off, and a 403(b) retirement plan with employer match. Vanderbilt offers tuition assistance to employees, spouses and dependent children. Also, after five years of service, Vanderbilt will pay up to 55% of the tuition for up to three dependent children to earn a bachelor's degree. Learn more about Vanderbilt's benefits at VU Benefits Overview at https://hr.vanderbilt.edu/benefits/6.1.17BenefitsOverview-Candidate-.pdf .
KeyCharacteristics of a Successful Team Member in this Unit:
· Assumesthe Best -- Assume that others are working as hard as you are on things that are as important as what you are working on. Just because you don’t know what someone does, it doesn’t mean they’re not doing anything.
· Believes – Believes in the work being done and in the importance of the organization’s mission.
· CreativeThinking – Goes beyond the boundaries of the job description, willingly takes on new challenges, finds creative solutions rather than always awaiting direct instructions
· Integrity – Holds oneself accountable; takes responsibility for failures as well as successes, recognizes that trust is required to hold a team together.
· Teamwork – Genuinely values teamwork and co-workers; make them feel valuable and important by acknowledging what they do well. Doesn’t expect from others effort that one is unwilling to do themselves. Finds ways to acknowledge other’s strong suits.
Job requires High school graduate or GED and 2 Years of experience or the equivalent.
Licensure, Certification, and/or Registration (LCR):
Primary Location: United States-Tennessee-Nashville
Organization: 18510 - Health Sciences Education
Job: Administrative / Office Support Supervisors, Leads, and Staff