Vanderbilt University Program Coordinator Emergency Preparedness in Nashville, Tennessee
Program Coordinator Emergency Preparedness (Job Number: 1801331)
· About this Position
Under the leadership of the Director of Emergency Preparedness, the Emergency Preparedness Coordinator position will be responsible for coordinating and conducting emergency preparedness planning initiatives in support of university emergency planning initiatives at all levels to include the departmental, venue, and special event planning efforts. This position will facilitate departmental and university emergency preparedness efforts, coordinate emergency operation plans, and serve as the lead facilitator for the Emergency Operations Center.
This position will identify training needs, develop and deliver emergency preparedness training and provide execution support for training exercises. This position will facilitate and oversee the university emergency operations center as directed or needed. They will be required to effectively communicate with diverse groups of people from local, state, and federal governments and the Vanderbilt community.
About Vanderbilt University
Vanderbilt is a renowned private institution founded in 1873 and located in the heart of Nashville, Tennessee. The university’s students, faculty, and staff frequently cite Nashville and the surrounding area as one of the many perks of being a part of the Vanderbilt community. Vanderbilt University is a place where your expertise will be valued, your knowledge expanded, and your abilities challenged. It is a place where your diversity is sought and celebrated. It is a place where employees know they are part of something bigger than themselves, take exceptional pride in their work and never settle for what was good enough yesterday. Vanderbilt was recently named the “best large employer” in Tennessee and a top employer for women by Forbes , ranked #1 in the PrincetonReview among 384 top colleges and universities for having the best financial aid in the nation – as well as #3 for “happiest students,” “quality of life” and “beautiful campus,” #4 for both being in a “college city that students love” and for having “great campus/city relations.”
Duties and Responsibilities
· Assist with the coordination, development, and maintenance of university emergency planning initiatives.
o Provide guidance and expertise to university stakeholders and assist with emergency preparedness, planning, and mitigation efforts.
o Assists special event groups, large events and community groups with emergency planning efforts.
o Provide quality control and oversight over critical university sections to ensure all plans are maintained in accordance with the university emergency preparedness plan.
o Coordinate the university departmental emergency coordinators and their designated contacts.
o Serves as primary lead and caretaker for the university emergency operations center.
o Coordinate and oversee the university emergency preparedness website.
o Develop and track an annual budget for the emergency preparedness program.
o Serve as the lead and coordinate the university emergency response program.
o Serve as the lead and coordinate the university Automated Electronic Defibrillator Program.
o Have a substantial understanding of the FEMA ideology and response protocols and coordinate university plans accordingly.
o Develop operational plans and protocols for special projects and university high hazard areas.
· Assist with the coordination, development and maintenance of the university fire/life safety programs.
o Assist with annual fire drills for the university residence halls.
o Provide assistance and program coordination to university stakeholders for university fire/life safety program initiatives and support the Fire/Life Safety Manager.
o Assist and liaison with outside regulatory agencies to ensure program compliance.
· Develop and coordinate the university emergency preparedness training and exercise initiatives.
o Develop and coordinate the university new faculty staff emergency preparedness training modules.
o Develop and coordinate student emergency preparedness training programs and initiatives.
o Assist with coordination, design, & conducting periodic emergency management training & exercises, including tabletop, functional, & full-scale exercises & drills to prepare Vanderbilt University for effective response to major emergencies & to improve departmental preparedness.
o Prepare or coordinate after action reports following exercises & major emergencies, including recommending improvements & incorporating findings into current emergency preparedness plans.
o Serve as a primary support and deliver multiple training seminars to the Office of Public personnel as needed.
· Assist with the coordination, development and maintenance of the university severe weather preparedness plans and maintain the university StormReady program.
o Liaison with the National Service to coordinate the university Storm Ready designation
o Coordinate the university severe weather response plans and procedures.
o Develop and coordinate university severe weather preparedness training modules.
o Serve as the liaison to various vendors providing weather services to Vanderbilt University.
· Assist with the coordination and maintenance of the university Campus Emergency Management Planning Group (CEMP) and ancillary emergency preparedness activities.
o Assist with the CEMP Group meetings and record meeting minutes.
o Track and coordinate CEMP members contact information.
o Coordinate and facilitate designated emergency preparedness meetings.
· No direct supervisory responsibility.
· Knowledge of core principles of emergency management such as the FEMA NIMS/ICS structure, organization, and emergency planning for large institutions, to include large special events such as concerts, NCAA football games, and outdoor festivals.
· Familiarity with or the ability to learn emergency management software programs related to emergency notification, planning tools, and emergency operations center response protocols.
· Direct experience working in an Emergency Operations Center during an actual emergency is preferred.
· Experience with severe weather response and meteorology is preferred.
· Working in a higher education environment or exhibit knowledge of collaboration efforts in a higher education setting is preferred.
· Superior verbal and written communication skills and be comfortable presenting to and collaborating with a variety of stakeholders.
· The ability to work within a team environment is extremely important.
· Participation in FEMA Incident Command System courses, relevant certifications (AEM, CEM, CEMP, etc.), and familiarity with higher emergency management education is preferred.
· Ability to develop, recommend, accept, evaluate, and implement administrative and operational policies and procedures.
· Proficient use of modern office equipment and computer hardware; i.e., personal computers, printers, photo copiers, scanners.
· Knowledge and skills in use of modern computer software; i.e., word processing applications, spread sheets, etc.
· Knowledge of website design and management.
· Ability to operate in a multi-tasking environment.
· Provide excellent customer service skills
This position requires a Bachelors Degree and 1 Year of experience or the equivalent.
Preferred: twenty-four (24) to forty-eight (48) months of related work experience in the emergency/preparedness
Licensure, Certification, and/or Registration (LCR):
· Must be at least 18 years of age
· You must be able to secure Radiation Security Clearance with Vanderbilt University and the State of Tennessee
· Must have a valid driver’s license from the state of Tennessee or be eligible to obtain one and do so within 60 days of appointment
· Must successfully complete department orientation program
· Must be a U.S. citizen
Primary Location: United States-Tennessee-Nashville
Organization: 39000 - Office of Chief Public Safety Officer
Job: Institutional Affairs Professionals