Vanderbilt University Statistician II,Latin America Public Opinion Project (LAPOP) in Nashville, Tennessee
Statistician II,Latin America Public Opinion Project (LAPOP) (Job Number: 1800750)
Independently and in collaboration with teams, apply technical skills in survey design, fieldwork oversight, and data analysis to develop, complete, and disseminate research on public opinion.
Key Functions andExpected Performances
Collaborate as a member of a research group on the design of research projects (1/3 of workload).
· Assist in planning a complex schedule of research activities covering up to 35 countries and involving multiple sites and teams
· Apply expertise in questionnaire design for surveys and, on occasion, focus groups.
· Provide input into the development of complex, stratified sample designs.
· Develop plans for fieldwork, project schedules, quality control, management of data, and dataset processing.
· Train interview teams in best practices in survey implementation and in the use of hardware and software required for fieldwork (requires occasional travel abroad).
· Assist in the process of identifying third parties (e.g., survey firms) for data collection and in the development of contracts.
· Program questionnaires and samples into specialized software for survey data collection, and supervise research assistants as they audit the programs.
Collaborate as a member of a research team on the implementation of research projects (1/3 of workload).
· Oversee research projects to ensure that they stay on schedule, assist in identifying solutions to problems when they emerge to ensure projects stay on schedule and that quality is maintained, and supervise research assistants.
· Use specialized software to oversee fieldwork and data auditing processes.
Assist in the development and dissemination of research output (1/3 of workload).
· Apply knowledge of statistics and specialized software to analyze and interpret survey data and draft and review project reports written for various audiences.
· Help coordinate dissemination of research via presentations by team members at various events; occasionally participate in the delivery of oral presentations on project findings. Travel domestically and/or abroad as needed for such events.
· Communicate in a timely, efficient, and professional manner with teams of country experts, research affiliates, contracted firms, sponsoring agencies, and other project collaborators across numerous countries.
· On occasion develop and conduct workshops or training sessions in order to increase capacity for survey research among students, project partners, the media, or others.
· M.A. in political science, economics, or a related field of study, or the equivalent in experience.
· Specialized training or on the job experience in the design, implementation, and analysis of international survey research.
· Proven ability to work independently and in teams on research projects.
· Intermediate skills in programming and statistical analysis.
· Excellent communication skills – both written and verbal.
· Ability to problem-solve and manage multiple complex tasks simultaneously and effectively.
Vanderbilt is a renowned private institution founded in 1873 located a little more than a mile from downtown Nashville, TN. The university’s students, faculty, staff and visitors frequently cite Nashville as one of the perks of Vanderbilt. VU is a place where your expertise will be valued, your knowledge expanded and your abilities challenged. It is a place where your diversity is sought and celebrated. It is a place where employees know they are part of something that is bigger than themselves, take exceptional pride in their work and never settle for what was good enough yesterday. Vanderbilt was recently ranked #1 in the Princeton Review at https://news.vanderbilt.edu/2017/08/01/vanderbilt-has-happiest-students-again-according-to-2017-princeton-review-best-colleges-rankings/ among 382 top colleges and universities for “happiest students” - as well as #2 for “best quality of life” and “great financial aid,” #5 for “best run colleges” and “beautiful campus,” and #6 for both being in a “college city that students love” and having “great campus/city relations.”
In addition to offering a lively community that encourages learning and celebrates diversity, VU offers a competitive, flexible benefits package including health, dental, vision, life, accidental death & dismemberment, disability insurance, paid time off, and a 403(b) retirement plan with employer match. Vanderbilt offers tuition assistance to employees, spouses and dependent children. Also, after five years of service, Vanderbilt will pay up to 55% of the tuition for up to three dependent children to earn a bachelor's degree. Learn more about Vanderbilt's benefits at VU Benefits Overview at https://hr.vanderbilt.edu/benefits/6.1.17BenefitsOverview-Candidate-.pdf
This position requires Masters Degree
Primary Location: United States-Tennessee-Nashville
Organization: 12470 - Political Science
Job: Research, Extension, and Other Education Professionals